Is your time limited but you have a heart for giving and want to give back on a bigger scale than you could on your own?
- Are you willing to commit to one hour and $100 every year?
- Do you want to learn about, or let other women know about, the work being done by your local nonprofits in Otsego County?
- Do you want to be part of a caring and amazing group of women that are making a positive impact in our community today, tomorrow and forever?
- Do you want 100% of your donation to go directly to local charities?
Save the Date for 2019!
May 14, 2019
Here’s How it Works
- One (1) time per year our members show up with a $100 check in hand to give BIG.
- Each member has the opportunity to nominate a local organization. There are eligibility requirements (see below) and nominations must be approved at least two (2) weeks prior to the meeting (by May 1st).
- At each meeting, four (4) nominated and approved organizations will be randomly drawn “from the hat”. The nominating member will be asked to make an informal presentation, of up to five minutes, to the group about their organization’s mission and why it is deserving of the members’ vote (no PowerPoint or collateral materials, please). If a nominating member is not in attendance another organization will be drawn.
- Members will have the opportunity to ask questions after each presentation.
- After the presentations and Q&A, an anonymous ballot is held and the organization with the most votes will be the recipient of a $5000 grant. Any other grants will be distributed based on the number of attendees.
- Each member writes a $100 check made out to the Otsego County Community Foundation (OCCF). Members who are not in attendance must send a check with a trusted friend or mail their check before May 8th. There is no proxy voting.
- Half the monies raised at the event will support the needs of today while the other half goes into the Community Fund to support the needs of tomorrow.
- The selected charity is then invited back to the next meeting to share with members the BIG impact their donations have made.
Only members of 100+Women Who Care are eligible to nominate a charity. Nominations must be submitted at least two (2) weeks prior to the next annual meeting and be approved. These requirements help ensure that the charity has a solid foundation and is trending in the right direction fiscally, after all they could be the recipient of a $5000 grant made possible because of you and 100+ other caring women.
Charities must be:
- Local and based in the Otsego County Area.
- Must have 501(c)(3) status for a minimum of two (2) years, be active and in good standing with the State of Michigan and Federal Government.
- Charities must have two (2) years of 990 tax returns on file and be willing to share that information with us if not readily available on their website or GuideStar. In the case of smaller non-profits (annual gross receipts up to $50,000) who file an e-Postcard (Form 990-N), those organizations must be willing to share two (2) years of year-end financial statements with us.
- Charities must be actively engaged in the community and executing their mission statement.
- Guide Star and Charity Navigator are helpful websites to verify information on charities.
- National or international charities, programs or organizations will not be considered at this time as the focus is on contributing to our local community. Organizations with a national link may be nominated provided the request is for a project to be delivered in the Otsego County area. The funds must stay in our community.
- The following organizations have received grants within the last two years and are ineligible to be nominated: Otsego Memorial Hospital, Gaylord Area Council for the Arts (GAGA), Alpine Regional Tennis Association (ARTA), Community Mediation and Toys for Tots.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Become A Member?
If you would like to become a member, please complete the Membership-Commitment-Form.
I’m a returning member. What should I do?
If you’re a returning member, please complete the Membership-Commitment-Form and check the returning member option.
What commitment am I making by becoming a member?
Membership includes making an annual tax deductible donation of $100 to Otsego County Community Foundation . That night half the monies raised at the event will support the needs of today while the other half goes into the Community Fund. If a member is unable to attend the meeting they will give their check to another member to deliver on their behalf or mail their check by May 8th to the OCCF , P.O. Box 344, Gaylord, MI, 49734. Attendance at meetings is not mandatory but the donation is.
I’m a new member, what should I expect at a meeting?
Expect to be greeted by a committee member and asked to sign-in at the check-in table. There will be time for mingling with other fabulous, like-minded women.
Generally, our meetings will go as follows:
5:30 pm – Check-in, write your check and mingle
6:00 pm – Meeting begins
- Opening remarks
- An explanation of the charity selection and voting process is given.
- Four (4) nominated charities will be selected at random from the hat.
- The nominating member from those four (4) charities will each have five (5) minutes to present their charity to the group (no PowerPoint or collateral materials, please). A brief Q&A will follow each presenter.
- Members will submit their anonymous ballot and the votes are tabulated.
- The charity that received the funds from the previous meeting will be asked to say a few words of thanks and tell the group how their donations were/will be used and what the impact their donations made on the organization.
- The charity with the most votes is announced.
- You just did something amazing and impactful.
7:00 pm – Meeting is adjourned
How long do the meetings last?
Meetings will take no more than an hour. We aim to start promptly at 6:00pm. If you wish to come earlier there will be opportunities to socialize before the formal part of the one-hour meeting.
What if I cannot attend a meeting?
If you cannot attend the meeting you should do one of the following:
- Give your $100 check to a trusted friend who is attending the meeting.
- Mail your $100 check by May 8th to OCCF, P.O. Box 344, Gaylord, MI, 49734
- Absent members cannot vote by proxy
Can I bring a friend to a meeting?
Yes! We are always looking for women who want to GIVE BIG. Please invite your friends, neighbors, daughters, co-workers to become a member today.
Is membership limited to 100 women?
Absolutely not! If we can make a BIG impact with 100+ women, why not grow and make an even BIGGER difference? The more the merrier we say, as long as we have room at the venue we will continue to take members. If we exceed capacity at the venue we will start a priority list for the next event. The winning organization will not receive any more than $5000. Based on final numbers there may be additional grants awarded.
What do you do with my personal information?
The OCCF collects your personal information (including name, email address, phone number, and mailing address) strictly for the purpose of keeping in contact with our members. Our database is used for administrative purposes only.
We will not sell, give, or otherwise share your personal information with any third party. Ever. We may occasionally recognize our members via social media and other media. If you want to remain anonymous you must let us know at the time of joining.
How do I nominate a charity?
Once you join the group you may nominate a charity by completing the Nomination Form and submitting it prior to the deadline. An organization may only be nominated by a member.
If a member has an affiliation with a charity, i.e. they are an officer, board member, employee or volunteer, they are allowed to nominate that charity and present on its behalf.
Do I have to nominate a charity?
No. Many women like to just show up and give. While all members have the opportunity to nominate a charity, it is not a requirement of membership.
Can a charity be nominated more than once?
Each member can only nominate one charity per meeting, however multiple members can nominate the same charity, increasing the charities chances to be one of the four charities drawn. The name of the member on the drawn nomination form will give the presentation. However, the same charity may not be drawn more than once to present.
Is my donation tax deductible?
Yes. Tax receipts will be mailed to you with in one month of the event, which is why we collect your current address. If you have not received your tax receipt within a reasonable amount of time, please contact us.
How much of my donation goes to the administration costs of the program?
Absolutely zero! Our operating expenses are offset by generous sponsor donations.